Frequently Asked Questions – International Students

Frequently Asked Questions - International Students

Where is the office of Global Initiatives located?

109 Administration Building

How do I pay my tuition fees?

How do I order a transcript?

Through the Registrar’s Office.

How do I choose my classes?

We will assign you an academic advisor. Your academic advisor will help you determine the classes you should register for each semester to ensure you are taking all classes required for your major in the proper order. Once you have met with your advisor and have a schedule for the semester, you will be provided with a PIN number.

Go to My AUM and log in to the My AUM portal with your AUM username and password. If you are a new student, click on “First-Time Users” and follow the instructions for entering your Student ID number and birth date. Once your account is set up, you may log in to My AUM. If you need assistance, contact the AUM ITS helpdesk at 244-3500 or [email protected] .

Once logged in, click “WEBSTER” in the upper left “Launchpad” section.

Click on “Student Services and Financial Aid.”

Click on “Registration” to register for classes.

Click on “Select Term” and choose the term for which you wish to register and click “submit.”

Click on “Register For And/Or Drop Classes.”

Enter your “Alternate PIN” and click “submit.” Note: You must meet with your advisor each semester to receive your alternate PIN to register for class.

Scroll down to the Add Classes Worksheet- you will see a 10-slot CRN (course reference number) worksheet on your screen. To add classes, enter the CRN in the space provided. After you have entered all the CRNs of the courses you want, click “submit changes.” To search by subject, you can also click on “class search” in Webster to find the classes you want. Highlight the subject and click “course search.” Click “View Sections” to see specific sections of each class. If a section is full, it will have a “C” in the left column. If a section has a remaining open seat, there will be a box on the left for you to check. Finally, scroll down and click “Register.”

To change or drop a class during registration, click on the drop down menu next to the course you would like to drop. Click “drop course,” and then scroll down to click “Submit Changes.”

To see if you have successfully registered, click on the “return to Menu” button located at the top right side of the screen. This returns you to the registration page.

Scroll down and click on “Student Detail Schedule.” Print your schedule and log out when finished. Always click the “submit changes” button in Webster when altering your class schedule and print copies of any schedule changes for adding or dropping classes.

Keep your PIN safe for the entire semester. You may need it at mid-semester to drop a course, and your advisor may not be immediately available to re-give it to you on the last day to drop classes. Each semester the university designates a “drop date’ for full and half-term classes. Before this date, students may drop classes without academic penalty. (The Immigration and financial effects of dropping a class are separate matters. See below for extremely important notes.) Students should make note of the semester’s last day to drop on the academic calendar posted on the AUM website. Once the drop date has passed, students will not be allowed to drop a class unless they have extenuating circumstances. If students miss the drop date, they will have to either complete the class or receive a failing grade.

Students who wish to completely withdraw from all their classes at the university during a semester must do so officially by completing a withdrawal form and exit interview in the Registrar’s Office. Students may not withdraw from all of their courses via Webster. Complete withdrawal from the University is only permitted before the last day to drop classes.

PLEASE NOTE CAREFULLY: F-1 students must be full-time students to maintain legal status in the U.S. Before you drop below full-time status, you MUST talk to an International Student Adviser/DSO and receive permission from the DSO to drop below a full-time course load.

Can I work in the United States?

If you’re a student you can work on campus up to 20 hours during the semester.

You must have permission to work off campus from the Department of Homeland Security, and you have two options for working off campus:

  • OPT—Optional Practical Training:  The purpose of OPT is to provide an opportunity for employment experience in your field of study.
    • Eligibility requirements:
      •  You must be enrolled in a degree program at AUM for at least one full year
      • Be in F-1 student status

OPT is allowed for 12 months for all programs, however programs that fall under the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) list are able to apply for 17 additional months of OPT after their initial OPT has been used. If you use your OPT before you graduate, it will be deducted from your 12-month availability after the degree is awarded.

OPT before completion of course of study:

  • A student that has coursework remaining to complete his/her degree is limited to 20 hours per week of work.
  • A student is able to apply for full-time authorization during annual vacation.
  • Graduate students who have completed all course requirements for a degree, but still have a thesis to complete can apply for full-time OPT to be used while they continue to make progress towards completing their thesis requirements.

OPT after completion of the course of study:

  • Only granted for full-time use
  • Students should apply 90 days before their completion date, but can apply up to 60 days after program completion
  • 12 months of OPT must be used within 14 months of completion of program

OPT is a period during which you are allowed to work for up to 12 months on an F-1 student visa towards getting practical training, which must be in your field of study. To apply for OPT, a student must submit an application to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A student must pay the application fee each time he/she applies for OPT. Students should apply about 90 days before the end of their program. Program end dates can be found on 29 the first page of the I-20. It currently takes 90 days to process an OPT application. OPT can begin immediately after you graduate or anytime within the 60 days after you graduate.

  • CPT—Curricular Practical Training:  CPT allows students the opportunity to participate in an internship to gain practical skills/knowledge in their field of study. CPT must be an integral part of the student’s established curriculum and directly related to the student’s program. CPT can be full or part time. Full time CPT can be used during breaks or school vacations. Part time CPT must be used during the semester. The internship may be paid or unpaid. Students who use 12 months or more of fulltime CPT are ineligible for OPT.

To apply for CPT, students must provide the DSO with documentation from their advisor or instructor indicating the student requires or is registered for an internship class. The student will also provide contact information for his/her employer during the internship whether the internship is paid or unpaid and full or part time. Once the DSO receives the necessary information, she will update the student’s I-20 to indicate approval of CPT.

A student must be eligible for CPT by:

  • Being currently in valid F-1 status at his/her SEVP-approved college or university.
  • Being enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year prior to the internship.
  • Continuing to be enrolled for a full course of study during the CPT.
  • Participating in training that is an integral part of an established curriculum.
  • Participating in training that is directly related to his/her program.

How do I apply for an on-campus job?

At the AUM Career Development Center (CDC), we provide students career counseling.

We can help you get the tools and techniques you need to build a successful career. Our experienced staff can help you identify your aptitudes, set career goals, polish your resume, and create a job search strategy.

Since International students can work on campus, CDC can help. If you are looking for a part-time job on campus, you can go to the CDC and fill out a part-time job application. The staff will assist you with finding a job on campus.

Can I remain in the United States with an expired visa?

Yes, you can remain in the US with an expired visa if your I-20 and passport are valid.  If you leave the US, you will need a valid visa to re-enter the US.

You must apply for a new visa or extend your visa in your home country. The documents you need to bring with you when applying for a U.S. student visa are:

  • Valid I-20
  • Valid Passport—with at least 6 months before expiration
  • Financial statement
  • A good-standing letter from the Office of Global Initiatives 33
  • Official transcripts

You can go to the U.S. State Department’s website for more information on visa applications: www.travel.state.gov  You can also use this website to make appointments for visa applications at border posts in Mexico or Canada.

Automatic Revalidation: If you visit Canada or Mexico for a trip of less than 30 days, you may be eligible to return to the United States with an expired visa via automatic revalidation if:

  • You are not a citizen of a country that the U.S. Department of state classifies as a sponsor of terrorism.
  • You do not give away your Form I-94 during departure. This form must be kept for reentry. Do not give your I-94 card or print-out away at the border or on a plane. Bring a copy with you to give to the airline.
  • You have a valid passport with at least 6 months remaining from your date of return and a valid form I-20 with a travel signature that is less than 12 months old.
  • You do not apply for a visa while in Canada or Mexico. If you do, you are no longer eligible to return to the U.S. under automatic revalidation.

Can I remain in the United States with an expired passport?

If your passport expires, you should renew it. Your passport can be renewed in the US, and you should contact your country’s consulate in the US for instructions/information.

What should I do if I lose my I-20?

If you lose your I-20, you should visit the Office of Global Initiatives to request a new I-20.

Can international students be part time students?

No, you must be enrolled full time.

  • ESL = 18 hours a week
  • Undergraduate/Bachelors = 12 semester hours
  • Graduate/Masters = 9 semester hours

Can I take a semester off of studies and remain in the US?

No, if you are not enrolled in a required semester, you must leave the US.  Please see Office of Global Initiatives to discuss an authorized withdrawal.

Who do I contact if I have questions not on this page?

Office of Global Initiatives: [email protected]

Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?

Yes, attendance is mandatory.

Want More Info About AUM?


Taylor Center 101


7400 East Drive Montgomery, AL 36117

Office Hours

8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday

Call Today





[email protected]

    Let’s GO!

    Virtual Map of Campus.

    Start your adventure to campus life by clicking on our interactive map. Discover the AUM scene and its unique work-life balance. Take a virtual tour of featured facilities that provide comfort, convenience, exercise, and relaxation. Join a community of independent living and group activities that offset the challenging work week.