The Auburn University at Montgomery (AUM) Guard Card was established to help active duty Alabama National Guard members with funds to purchase books, supplies and meals on campus. The amount awarded is $500 per fall and spring semester (total of $1,000 for the academic year).
About the Scholarship
To be eligible for this scholarship, the student must meet the following:
- Must be currently serving as an active Alabama National Guard member, and within good standing (reservists are not eligible). Status will be reviewed by Alabama National Guard headquarters or equivalent administration.
- Must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program at AUM.
- All recipients must be enrolled full time (minimum of 12 credit hours for undergraduate or 6 credit hours for graduate) for the entire semester.
- Applicant must submit verification form with certifying official signature.
- Maintain a 2.0 cumulative institutional GPA at the undergraduate level or a 3.0 cumulative institutional GPA at the graduate level.
- Continuing Education courses are not eligible for this scholarship.
- All verification forms are due to the scholarship manager no later than one week prior to the first day of classes to allow for purchase of books.
- he amount of the scholarship is $500 per fall and spring semester ($1,000 per academic year) that can be used to purchase books and supplies in the campus bookstore, and meals on campus.
- If the scholarship recipient drops below the full-time credit hour requirement or is no longer enrolled during a semester that they received funds, they are required to pay back the funds that they received for the AUM Guard Card.
- If the scholarship recipient is flagged by Guard headquarters or is not in good standing then they are required to pay back the funds that they received for the AUM Guard Card.
- Funds will be placed on the card one week before classes starting for the semester.
- Funds can be used on campus towards the purchase of books, supplies or meals.
- The Guard Card is stackable with other scholarships such as the AUM Military & Dependent Scholarship, AUM Alabama National Guard Scholarship, Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program, and other state and federal benefits.
Follow these easy steps to apply for AUM’s Guard Card:
- Apply to AUM (because your scholarship application will require your AUM student number). If you have already applied to AUM or are a current AUM student, you can skip this step.
- Complete the verification form and submit no later than one week prior to the first day of classes. Submission information is listed on the verification form.
Academic Plan of Study: If you are receiving VA benefits, you are required to provide the Veteran Services Office with an Academic Plan of Study checksheet. Your academic advisor will provide this form and work with you in developing your plan. Once you have completed all necessary forms, it takes 6-8 weeks for the Veterans Administration’s Regional Office (VARO) to finish processing your claim.
Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy: As a VA benefit recipient, you are required to make satisfactory academic progress by maintaining a minimum overall 2.0 GPA on hours attempted at AUM. This measure generally becomes effective when you have attempted 24 hours at AUM. If you fail to maintain the required GPA, you will have your VA benefits terminated.
Registration Cancellation Policy: The AUM Registration Cancellation Policy requires that you pay tuition and fees by the registration cancellation deadline. We will permit re-registration only if you make payments or payment arrangements at the time of registration. If you are awarded financial aid for the semester at issue, you will not be subject to cancellation for that portion of fees covered by financial aid. However, veteran benefits, other than Chapter 31 VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Post 9/11 Chapter 33, are not considered financial aid for this payment policy, so you are encouraged to make payments or payment arrangements to prevent course cancellation.
For more information, explore our military FAQ.