Frequently Asked Questions

Veterans can call the VA Education hotline at 1-888-442-4551 or visit the www.benefits.va.gov and submit an inquiry using their “Ask a Question” feature.

Apply online through EBENEFITS and click on Education Benefits.

  • Ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty benefits (MGIB-AD)
  • Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits (Disabled Veterans)
  • Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits
  • Yellow Ribbon Program
  • Ch. 35 Dependents/Survivors Educational Assistance benefits (DEA)
  • Ch. 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserves benefits (MGIB-SR)
  • Federal Tuition Assistance (Active Duty)
  • Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program (ANGEAP)
  • Alabama GI Dependent Scholarship

Inquiries regarding eligibility status for Chapters 30, 33, 35, and 1606 should be directed toward the Department of Veteran Affairs, Educational Assistance: 888.GIBILL1 (888.442.4551) or www.gibill.va.gov.

  • If this is the first time you are activating your benefits, you must fill out a VA Form 22-1990 and submit either a DD214 (separation papers) or a Form DD2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility/NOBE) from your reserve unit.
  • If you are transferring your benefits from another institution, you must complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) and provide a copy of your DD214 or NOBE.
  • Dependents of veterans should fill out VA Form 22-5490 for initial applications, and 22-5495 for transfers from other institutions.
  • Veterans filing under Chapter 33 who are transfer students must also provide a copy of their entitlement letter.

All students eligible to receive any form of veterans benefits should contact the VA Manager in the Office of Financial Aid, Taylor Center (334) 244-3368 to get them activated at AUM.

  • Initial payments may take as long as 10 to 12 weeks to activate. Students filing under Chapters 30, 35, and 1606 will be given retroactive pay from the start of the semester, and continue to receive monthly installments thereafter.
  • Continuing students should receive their benefits within eight to 10 weeks.
  • Chapter 33 Veterans should receive their BAH payment approximately four to six weeks after courses begin, provided all paperwork was completed prior to the start of the semester.

Your entitlement is dependent on many factors. Refer to www.gibill.va.gov for the current VA rates based on the chapter under which you will file.

Active duty soldiers using tuition assistance can bring their forms directly to the Office of Student Accounts located in Taylor Center please call (334) 244-3117 for assistance.

Information about veterans benefits is available at www.va.gov or by calling (800)827-1000.

Yes, AUM has a Veteran Liaison that provides support to the veteran student population for their successful transition from military service to campus life and beyond. The office is located at 122 Taylor Center or can be reached by calling 334-244-3304. In addition you can contact the Warhawk Academic Success Center (WASC) who can also provide assistance with campus related questions and concerns. Advisors at the WASC can be reached at 334-244-3230.

Typically our veteran students choose to live off campus. However, if you are looking to live on campus, there are several options to choose from.  More information can be found by visiting the Housing and Residence Life section of the website.

AUM offers a number of services designed to help Veterans transition and succeed aboard the campus.  The Veteran Liaison will guide you through an array of information and resources that are vital to your introduction to campus life. These areas include benefits, career planning, counseling, tutoring, and just getting to know the campus.

We also have a Veteran Students Organization (Student Veterans of America) that brings military veterans together in order to foster fellowship and mentoring among those attending the AUM, for more info you can email SVA@AUM.edu or visit facebook.com/AUMSVA.

To avoid delays or overpayment of VA education benefits, each VA benefit recipient is responsible for reporting any changes in status to the VA Certifying Official at AUM, including:

  • Change of Address
  • Change of Program
  • Change in Enrollment Status (e.g. drop from full- to part-time)
  • Withdrawal from school

You may contact the AUM VA Certifying Official at 334-244-3368.

If you have additional questions, many can be answered at the Federal VA Frequently Asked Questions site at https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/list

Please go to the Joint Service Transcript website to request and send your Military/Joint Service Transcript to AUM.

Want More Info About AUM?


Taylor Center 101


7400 East Drive Montgomery, AL 36117

Office Hours

8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday

Call Today






    Let’s GO!

    Virtual Map of Campus Life.

    Start your adventure to campus life by clicking on our interactive map. Discover the AUM scene and its unique work-life balance. Take a virtual tour of featured facilities that provide comfort, convenience, exercise, and relaxation. Join a community of independent living and group activities that offset the challenging work week.