Skip to content

A University in Motion. Apply now!

If you are concerned about a student, we can help!

Resources for Faculty and Staff

The counselors of Counseling and Health Promotion Services (CHPS) are available to assist faculty and staff members regarding students in distress. We can provide recommendations on how to approach a student in need, discuss any appropriate plans of action, and give information about on and off campus referrals. Our counselors are also available to help classes and students affected by campus crises.

AUM faculty and staff can call CHPS and speak with a counselor to discuss any concerns about a student. Due to confidentiality laws, the counselor cannot disclose whether or not a student is a client without a signed release of information. If you are interested in speaking with a counselor for a consultation or would like to offer training for your staff on how to recognize and respond to students in distress, please call 334-244-3469.

Counseling & Health Promotion Services
Concerned about others

Resources for Students

If you are concerned about another student, don’t postpone offering support in addition to reaching out to the counselors of Counseling and Health Promotion Services (CHPS) for help. Some signs of distress may indicate a student may be undergoing a mental health challenge or crisis. Students can call CHPS during regular business hours and speak with a counselor to discuss any concerns about a friend, roommate, or fellow classmate.

Some Signs

What To Notice

It is important to notice some of the signs of distress especially when they interfere with a student’s health, social functioning, and academic functioning. Here are some indicators:

  • Sadness, hopelessness
  • Falling behind and missing classes
  • Verbal or written threats of suicide
  • Loss of interest in socializing with friends
  • Impulsive behavior and risk taking
  • Emotional outbursts
  • Increased use of alcohol and drugs
  • Threats of violence
  • Changes in hygiene or personal appearance
  • Noticeable cuts, bruises, or burns
Counseling & Health Promotion Services

Express Your Concern

Don’t be afraid to speak with the person directly and let them know you are concerned. Remind them that what they feel now is not permanent. Help is available. You can suggest they meet with a counselor at CHPS or any of the other on campus resources.

Get Support

If you are having trouble connecting with your friend, call on us and get help in dealing with this situation. Remember, you don’t have to go through this alone.

Get In Touch

Want More Info About AUM?

Call Today





Office Hours

8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday

Send AUM Admissions a Message

Back To Top