Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Veterans can call the VA Education hotline at 1-888-442-4551 or visit the and submit an inquiry using their “Ask a Question” feature.

Apply online through EBENEFITS and click on Education Benefits.

  • Ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty benefits (MGIB-AD)
  • Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits (Disabled Veterans)
  • Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits
  • Yellow Ribbon Program
  • Ch. 35 Dependents/Survivors Educational Assistance benefits (DEA)
  • Ch. 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserves benefits (MGIB-SR)
  • Federal Tuition Assistance (Active Duty)
  • Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program (ANGEAP)
  • Alabama GI Dependent Scholarship

Inquiries regarding eligibility status for Chapters 30, 33, 35, and 1606 should be directed toward the Department of Veteran Affairs, Educational Assistance: 888.GIBILL1 (888.442.4551) or

  • If this is the first time you are activating your benefits, you must fill out a VA Form 22-1990 and submit either a DD214 (separation papers) or a Form DD2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility/NOBE) from your reserve unit.
  • If you are transferring your benefits from another institution, you must complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) and provide a copy of your DD214 or NOBE.
  • Dependents of veterans should fill out VA Form 22-5490 for initial applications, and 22-5495 for transfers from other institutions.
  • Veterans filing under Chapter 33 who are transfer students must also provide a copy of their entitlement letter.

All students eligible to receive any form of veterans benefits should contact the VA Manager in the Office of Financial Aid, Taylor Center (334) 244-3368 to get them activated at AUM.

  • Initial payments may take as long as 10 to 12 weeks to activate. Students filing under Chapters 30, 35, and 1606 will be given retroactive pay from the start of the semester, and continue to receive monthly installments thereafter.
  • Continuing students should receive their benefits within eight to 10 weeks.
  • Chapter 33 Veterans should receive their BAH payment approximately four to six weeks after courses begin, provided all paperwork was completed prior to the start of the semester.

Your entitlement is dependent on many factors. Refer to for the current VA rates based on the chapter under which you will file.

Active duty soldiers using tuition assistance can bring their forms directly to the Office of Student Accounts located in Taylor Center please call (334) 244-3117 for assistance.

Information about veterans benefits is available at or by calling (800)827-1000.

Yes, AUM has a Veteran and Military Resource Center located on the third floor of Taylor Center Room 325. The staff is trained and prepared to help any military affiliated student with questions or concerns. There is also a lounge area where students can study, gather and support each other. Student only hours are from 5-7 and is dedicated to providing a safe space to work on homework, collaborate on projects, watch TV or play games. You can call 334-244-3799 or email at [email protected] for additional information.

The Veteran and Military Resource Center is responsible for assisting in the resolution processes regarding military affiliated student complaints. The University is committed to comply with all policies and procedures regarding the utilization of benefits. Auburn University at Montgomery complies with the resolution of any complaints in accordance with guidelines set by Department of Defense Directive Number 1233.08_. A student who participates in the Military Tuition Assistance Program (TA) or is a Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Scholarship recipient, at Auburn University at Montgomery who feels that internal efforts for resolution have been unresolved may submit a complaint through the Department of Defense.

For more information and assistance, please contact:

The Veteran and Military Resource Center
Auburn University at Montgomery
[email protected]

Typically our veteran students choose to live off campus. However, if you are looking to live on campus, there are several options to choose from.  More information can be found by visiting the Housing and Residence Life section of the website.

AUM offers a number of services designed to help Veterans transition and succeed aboard the campus.  The Veteran Liaison will guide you through an array of information and resources that are vital to your introduction to campus life. These areas include benefits, career planning, counseling, tutoring, and just getting to know the campus.

We also have a Veteran Students Organization (Student Veterans of America) that brings military veterans together in order to foster fellowship and mentoring among those attending the AUM, for more info you can email [email protected] or visit

To avoid delays or overpayment of VA education benefits, each VA benefit recipient is responsible for reporting any changes in status to the VA Certifying Official at AUM, including:

  • Change of Address
  • Change of Program
  • Change in Enrollment Status (e.g. drop from full- to part-time)
  • Withdrawal from school

You may contact the AUM VA Certifying Official at 334-244-3368.

If you have additional questions, many can be answered at the Federal VA Frequently Asked Questions site at

Please go to the Joint Service Transcript website to request and send your Military/Joint Service Transcript to AUM.

Auburn University at Montgomery wants to share as much information as possible regarding opportunities to pay for school.  Please see below to see if you qualify to participate in popular Military Scholarships programs.

American Legion


Paralyzed Veterans of America

Veterans of Foreign Wars

U.S. Department of Education (ED) Grants

Veterans Service Organization Scholarships

[email protected]
A University In Motion

2024 All Rights Reserved. Auburn University at Montgomery. Privacy Policy.

2024 All Rights Reserved. Auburn University at Montgomery. Privacy Policy.

Back To Top