Domestic Transfer and Test Credits

Domestic Transfer and Test Credits

Evaluation of Undergraduate Transfer Credit from Domestic Institutions

Students who have completed post-secondary work in the United States may be eligible to receive transfer credit toward their AUM baccalaureate degree if the transfer institution was regionally accredited and recognized by the U.S. Department of Education when the coursework was completed.

Sources of Transfer Credit

Four-Year Colleges and Universities:  There is no limit on the number of credits that can be transferred from a four-year university. However, students must complete a minimum of 25 percent of the total credit hours required for graduation in residence at AUM. Generally, these hours must be taken in the student’s final year.

Two-Year Institutions:  Only 50 percent of the credit hours required for a bachelor’s degree may be transferred from junior or community colleges.

Transfer Credits from Alabama Public Colleges and Universities:  The Statewide Transfer and Articulation Reporting System (STARS) was created through ACT 94-202 of the Alabama state legislature, for the purpose of simplifying transfer credits across Alabama’s public two-year and four-year colleges and universities. STARS provides transfer guides/agreements and guidance for students transferring from two-year to four-year institutions, or four-year to four-year institutions.  An easy way to see which courses will transfer in as Area I through IV credits, is to view the STARS Web database.  To see the transfer articulation of program specific requirements (Area V) visit STARS Area V.

Transfer Credit for Military Schools:  AUM follows the recommendations of the American Council on Education regarding credit given for the successful completion of service schools, including AWC and ACSC. Credit for military education is processed by the Registrar’s Office in consultation with appropriate faculty members.

Transfer Credit Recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE): The ACE presently evaluates both military and civilian training programs for academic credit. Since this evaluation is handled by faculty members of accredited institutions of higher learning, AUM will accept the ACE recommendations for credit earned in nonacademic programs.  The applicability of such credit to a specific program will be determined by the dean of the college in consultation with the academic advisor and processed by the Registrar’s Office.

Test Credit

  • CLEP: Students can receive credit for certain subject examinations completed through the College Level Examination Program. For information on accepted credits, scores and AUM equivalencies, see AUM CLEP and DANTES Credit.
  • AP Credit: College Board Advanced Placement credit is granted to students with appropriate scores.  For information on accepted credits, scores and AUM equivalencies, see Advanced Placement Exam Scores Accepted at AUM.
  • USAFI/DANTES Level Tests and Subject Standardized Tests: Undergraduate credit may be granted for college level courses completed by correspondence or for subject examinations administered by the Armed Forces Institute or another institution approved by the Armed Forces Institute. For information on accepted credits, scores and AUM equivalencies, see AUM CLEP and DANTES Credit.
  • IB Credit: International Baccalaureate credit is granted to students with appropriate scores.  For information on accepted credits, scores, and AUM equivalencies, see International Baccalaureate Scores Accepted at AUM.
  • Proficiency Examinations: Credit for examination may be earned for selected courses at AUM through departmental examinations. Students should contact the appropriate department to determine the availability of proficiency examinations.

Important Aspects of Transfer Credit

  • Not all courses qualify for credit.
  • Transfer courses that closely match the descriptions of courses taught at AUM will generally transfer asdirect course equivalency credits.
  • Transfer courses that do not have direct course equivalents at AUM will transfer as elective credits within the appropriate academic discipline or as general educational elective credits. General education elective credits will apply only toward the total number of credits required for graduation, but not toward fulfilling core or major requirements.
  • Credits may transfer, but may not meet the requirements for a degree at AUM. Your academic advisor can explain how credits will apply toward your degree program. In addition, students can view their degree audit report by accessing Degree Works through their MyAUM Webster accounts. This degree auditing tool provides a guide to planning progress toward degree completion and should not be considered an official notification of completion of degree or certificate requirements. DegreeWorks is designed to aid and facilitate academic advising, but is not intended to replace face-to-face advising sessions.
  • Many AUM classes have prerequisite courses that must be completed prior to enrolling in certain classes. If students do not provide the required final, official transcripts before arriving at AUM, they may be required to take lower level course work until their transfer credit evaluation is completed.

Matching Courses to AUM Credits

  • Official transcripts from all colleges or universities previously attended must be sent directly from each institution to the Office of Admissions Processing at: Auburn University at Montgomery Office of Admissions; PO Box 244023; Montgomery, AL 36124-4023.
  • Coursework completed at regionally accredited institutions will be articulated by Admissions Processing either as approved credit or ‘pending’ status requiring further review.
  • Coursework in a pending status will be processed by the Registrar’s Office in collaboration with faculty evaluators and the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies as appropriate.
  • Once evaluations are determined, the student’s record will be updated.  Approved transfer credit can be viewed by students through their Webster or DegreeWorks accounts. 

Appeal of a Transfer Credit Decision

Generally, if course articulation has been coordinated though the Admissions/Registrar’s office and evaluated by a designated faculty member, the student must supply additional information in order to have the coursework reviewed a second time. Additional documentation should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. 

Evaluation of Graduate Transfer Credit from Domestic Institutions

No more than six (6) semester hours or three courses of graduate work not to exceed six (6) semester hours can be transferred into a graduate program at AUM. To transfer such work, a student must have been admitted to a graduate degree program in the institution at which the work was taken. Such credit will not be accepted until the student has successfully completed nine (9) hours or work in the graduate program at AUM.  Credit accepted after the required nine (9) hours of work at AUM must be acceptable to the student’s advisor and to the dean in the appropriate college. A student who has completed a master’s degree or a professional degree may request that 6 hours of credit be transferred to or within AUM. Questions should be directed to the student’s program advisor.

Want More Info About AUM?


Taylor Center 101


7400 East Drive Montgomery, AL 36117

Office Hours

8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday

Call Today





[email protected]

    Let’s GO!

    Virtual Map of Campus.

    Start your adventure to campus life by clicking on our interactive map. Discover the AUM scene and its unique work-life balance. Take a virtual tour of featured facilities that provide comfort, convenience, exercise, and relaxation. Join a community of independent living and group activities that offset the challenging work week.