About the Club
The official purposes of Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society, are literary, educational, and charitable. The Society seeks to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies
- Provide cultural stimulation and to promote interest in literature and the English language in the surrounding community
- Foster the discipline of English in all its aspects, including creative and critical writing
- Promote good fellowship among its members
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence
To become a member of Sigma Tau Delta you must have a minimum of two college courses in English language or literature beyond freshman English, and at least a B average in English. You are not required to major in English: many members are Education majors, for instance.
Membership in Sigma Tau Delta requires payment of a combined one-time initiation fee of $65, $45 of which is the fee for the international organization. Members are entitled to compete for scholarships and enter contests sponsored by the Society, and may also attend the Society’s annual conventions.