Withdrawal and Drop Policy

Dropping Classes

Dropping a class prior to the Last Day for 100% refund as noted on the Academic Calendar and according to the University’s Refund Policy means the student no longer wishes to attend the class and seeks a full refund. Dropped classes do not appear on the official university transcript, and no grade is issued for dropped courses.  Should a student wish to adjust his or her schedule prior to the start of the semester or during the published schedule adjustment period as found in the Academic Calendar, students may drop from one to all of their classes for a full refund through their Webster account up until the Last Day for 100% Refund as noted on the Academic Calendar.

Withdrawing from Classes

Withdrawing from a class means the student no longer wishes to attend the class and will receive either a partial refund, or no refund, depending on the date of the withdrawal. A student can officially withdraw from all but his or her last class in Webster after the refund adjustment period up until the Last Date to Drop as posted in the Academic Calendar. To withdraw from the final class and officially withdraw from the semester, a student must submit a Withdrawal Authorization Form to the Registrar’s Office by the Last Date to Drop as noted on the Academic Calendar. Official withdrawals are discussed later in this policy.

Withdrawing from a class will result in a “W” grade on the official university transcript. A “W” grade is not considered when calculating the grade-point average, but it may impact a student’s satisfactory academic progress as it relates to financial aid. Therefore, it is highly recommended students contact The Office of Financial Aid prior to withdrawing from classes.

Typically, there are no exceptions to the refund adjustment or withdrawal deadlines. However, students can request exceptions due to extenuating circumstances, such as military service or unforeseen serious illness, with appropriate documentation as discussed later in this policy.

Dropping or withdrawing from courses can have serious financial and academic implications, possibly affecting billing, financial aid, VA benefits, housing on campus, eligibility to participate in athletic events and, for, international students, immigration status. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with their academic advisor and financial aid counselor before withdrawing from classes.

Unofficial Withdrawals

If a student begins to attend class but then ceases attendance without providing official notification to the University, the federal government considers this an "unofficial withdrawal." This includes students who earn failing grades in all classes, if it is determined the student ceased attending classes prior to the end of the payment period or term. The withdrawal date for students who unofficially withdraw is the last date of attendance reported by the student’s instructor(s). Prior to the Last Day for 100% Refund, students receiving federal Title IV aid should official notify The Office of Financial Aid of intent to withdraw from the semester. For information regarding the impact of withdrawing on Title IV, please see AUM’s policy regarding the Return to Title IV Funds.

Official Withdrawals

•    Students who wish to “officially withdraw” from the university during a semester must do so by completing a Withdrawal Authorization Form and submitting it to the Registrar’s Office in person or by mail, fax, or email. Prior to the Last Day for 100% Refund as noted on the Academic Calendar, students can drop all classes through their Webster account without completing a Withdrawal Authorization Form.  However, students receiving federal Title IV funds should notify The Office of Financial Aid of intent to withdraw. A student who officially withdraws from the University will have all courses from the semester withdrawn; after the last day for 100% refund, the withdrawals will be recorded on the academic record as grades of “W.” For information regarding the impact of withdrawing on Title IV, please see AUM’s policy regarding the Return to Title IV Funds.

Upon receipt of the Withdrawal Authorization Form, the Registrar’s Office will withdraw the student from all classes for the semester based on the date the form was submitted. It is important to complete and submit the form as soon as the decision to withdraw is made to ensure correct proration of tuition refunds.  

A student who wishes to withdraw from the University may be eligible to receive a partial refund of fees based on the date the Withdrawal Authorization Form is received in the Registrar’s Office.  The following rules apply to these situations:

•    Any student with a Cashier’s Hold on his or her account should contact The Office of Student Accounts to make arrangements for payment of the outstanding balance prior to submitting the withdrawal form to the Registrar’s Office.

•    Financial Aid recipients who completely withdraw from all courses or cease to attend all courses prior to completing over 60% of the term may be subject to repay a prorated amount of the federal financial aid received for the term. For information regarding the impact of withdrawing on Title IV, please see AUM’s policy regarding the Return to Title IV Funds.

•    Complete withdrawal from all classes after the term start date will result in tuition charges, according to the published University Refund Policy, and as noted on the Academic Calendar.

•    A course in which a grade of "F" has been or will be assigned due to violations of the Academic Honesty policy may not be withdrawn or dropped under any circumstance; such grades will remain as part of the official record.

•    Withdrawal from the University is generally only permitted before the Last Day to Drop as noted on the Academic Calendar.

•    A medical withdrawal can be requested when a student is suffering from a medical condition that prevents the completion of the semester. Medical withdrawals are processed by the Provost's Office and not the Registrar’s Office. Medical withdrawals are for all courses the student is registered in for the semester and should be filed within one year of the end of the semester involved.  Only illness or injuries of extended duration are normally considered for a medical withdrawal. Consideration will be given only when an illness or injury makes it impossible to complete a term. Medical withdrawals will generally not be approved if the difficulty resulting from an injury or illness was present when the student enrolled for the semester.  Students requesting a medical withdrawal must submit a Withdrawal Authorization Form, letter of request, and supporting documentation to either the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies or the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies as appropriate.

•    Military withdrawals are available for students who serve in the U.S. armed forces and have been called to duty with little notice for active duty deployment, specialized training or disaster relief efforts.  The following options are available: withdraw from all classes; request incomplete grades; withdraw from some courses but remain in others.  To be approved for a military withdrawal, students must submit a copy of military orders to the Registrar’s Office along with a Withdrawal Authorization Form or letter of request.  A full waiver/refund of tuition may be granted for approved students.  Contact the Registrar’s Office for additional information.

•    Retroactive withdrawal may be granted in extraordinary circumstances, with appropriate documentation, if the student is unable to complete classes or contact the university to initiate a withdrawal. A student who suffers a hardship should carefully consider whether withdrawing from the university is an appropriate option as detailed in this policy. Students who complete the semester after suffering a hardship will generally not be granted a retroactive withdrawal. Furthermore, students will not be considered for a retroactive withdrawal if they have received a grade of Incomplete for the appealed semester as part of an agreement with the faculty member to complete the required work, as such an agreement is an appropriate means for providing flexibility in case of hardship.  

•    A student who discontinues attending class without dropping classes or requesting an official withdrawal will receive a failing grade in all courses concerned.