FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
New Scholarship for AUM Nursing Students
Robin Barca establishes annual scholarship for AUM students enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program.
Auburn Montgomery/Montgomery, Ala. (Feb. 27, 2018) — Robin Barca R.N., M. S., has established an annual scholarship for students enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at Auburn University at Montgomery (AUM). The scholarship is named the Spirit of Caring Annual Scholarship. Barca has served as Chief Operating Officer for Baptist Health since 2002.
Robin established the Spirit of Caring Scholarship to recognize a student who demonstrates authentic caring toward their patients. Robin’s desire is that the student selected to receive this scholarship should exhibit behaviors based on Jean Watson’s Caritas Processes (10 Caring Practices) and its adaptations:
- Practicing loving kindness and equanimity.
- Being authentically present – instilling faith and hope and honor in others.
- Being sensitive to self and others by nurturing individual beliefs, personal growth, and practices.
- Developing helping-trusting-caring relationships.
- Promoting and accepting positive and negative feelings in care relationships and authentically listening to another’s story.
- Using creative scientific problem solving to meet the needs of others.
- Engaging in genuine teaching-learning experiences that address individual needs and learning styles.
- Creating a healing environment for physical and spiritual needs.
- Potentiating alignment of mind-body-spirit by respecting and assisting with basic physical, emotional and spiritual human needs.
- Slowing down and allowing space for unexpected wonder within the practice of nursing.
To be eligible to receive consideration for the Spirit of Caring Scholarship, a student must be admitted to the Auburn University at Montgomery School of Nursing, and demonstrate satisfactory academic progress and financial need.
The AUM School of Nursing is honored to be the recipient of this gift from Ms. Barca to establish the Spirit of Caring Scholarship noted Dr. Jean Leuner, dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences at AUM. “Caring is the essence of nursing” according to Jean Watson and her caring practices are central to the education of nursing students and the unique relationship between a patient and a nurse.
“Ms. Barca has been a pleasure to work with” said Martie McEnerney, Senior Development Officer. “She is a well-respected leader in healthcare in Montgomery and our students will benefit not only from her generosity, but also her example”.
Annual Scholarship levels are established by the Auburn University Foundation. The minimum named annual scholarship is $1,000, but the scholarship can be at any level above that.
Auburn University at Montgomery is ranked among the South’s top universities by U.S. News and World Report and is recognized one of the best colleges in the Southeast by The Princeton Review. AUM is designated as a Military Friendly School and is consistently chosen as the best university in the area. Auburn Montgomery provides students with detailed knowledge and hands-on, practical experience, often from professionals in the field.
Learn more about Auburn University at Montgomery at aum.edu .
Interim Executive Director
Strategic Communications and Marketing
Auburn University at Montgomery