To be successful in an online course you need to be self-motivated and able to manage your time, and you need a reliable computer. Check this quick checklist to find out if you are ready for online learning.
1. My computer is less than three years old, has no virus problems, and runs reliably on Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP or Mac OS 10.4 or higher
2. I own the computer that I will use for class. I have a printer, headphones or speakers. And if needed, I have a microphone.
3. I have a hard wired connection to the Internet using either a high speed DSL or cable connection. I don’t rely on a Wi-Fi connection because it may be unstable. I don’t rely on a dial up Internet connection because it is slow and not reliable
4. My browser will play several common multimedia (video and audio) formats.
5. I have and know how to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint or other software if required for my course of study
6. I have virus protection software running on my computer.
7. I am comfortable with installing or downloading software. I can add a printer or other devices when needed.
8. I can identify and correct simple computer problems or know someone who can help me.
9. I have the basic skills to operate a computer and am comfortable with saving files, creating folders, and moving files, etc.
10. I have basic Internet skills and am comfortable doing searches, setting bookmarks, and downloading files or plug-ins. I am comfortable using email.
11. I think that I would be able to remain motivated even though the instructor is not online at all times.
12. I usually finish things I start, and I do not quit just because things get difficult.
13. I believe it is important for me to finish my degree program.
14. I am willing to spend 7-10 or more hours each week on this online course.
15. I plan my work in advance so that I can turn in my assignments on time.
16. I have a dedicated room, office, or library time where I can study, listen to video/audio lectures, respond to discussions, and complete assignments without being interrupted.
17. I am willing to set aside uninterrupted time to read course materials, complete assignments, participate in discussions, and respond to other learners, group members and/or the instructor.
18. I can learn course content when it is presented in formats such as short video clips, audio recordings, podcasts, or online text.
19. I have pretty good reading comprehension and am comfortable with reading to learn the majority of the course content.
20. I am comfortable with communicating and carrying on a conversation through discussions, email, or blogs, etc. with people I may never see.
If you can answer yes to 17 or more of the above items, then you are ready for online learning.