Classes will be canceled and normal operations will be suspended beginning at 12 a.m. on Monday, September 11, 2017, due to the expected affects of Hurricane Irma. The suspension of operations includes all scheduled external and internal events as well as the AUM Wellness Center, Warhawk Shop Bookstore and Warhawk Transit.
This does not include residence halls, which will be open for campus residents only. Dining will operate out of the C-Store in the Nest from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., serving both cold and hot foods.
Since the track and intensity of this storm may change, any decision regarding Tuesday operations will be made by 5:00 p.m. CDT on Sunday and communicated to the campus community as soon thereafter as possible.
The AUM campus and surrounding areas are expected to experience storm effects beginning Monday morning and increasing into Monday night. The Alabama Emergency Management Agency forecast for our area indicates the likelihood of sustained winds of 15–20 mph, with gusts up to 40 mph, and 2–4 inches of rain.
Actions you should take:
- Identify where you will seek shelter during the storm, especially if you live in a mobile home.
- Make sure you have emergency supplies on hand. For tips on preparing an emergency kit and family communication plan, visit ready.gov.
- Bring any loose items inside or secure them outside so they don’t become dangerous projectiles in strong winds.
- Keep cell phones charged so you have a way of communicating if the power goes out.
- Stay safe and monitor your @aum.edu email and www.aum.edu for updates.
Please take this opportunity to visit the AUM Alert page at www.aum.edu/AUMalert to register for important updates. You can also add email addresses, landlines and mobile numbers at which you would like to receive emergency updates.