Obtaining a Social Security Number For Work

If you have been in the U.S. for at least 10 days, have registered for classes and have a job or a job offer, you can get a Social Security Number (SSN) from the U.S. government. You will need to apply in person at the local Social Security Administration office and take:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-94 
  • Form I-20
  • Letter of support from the Office of Human Resources and the signature of the International Student Services Coordinator on the letter of employment.

For specific information go to Social Security Online.