AUM's philosophy is that individuals with disabilities have the right to full and self-directed participation in postsecondary education as defined by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. At the same time, students with disabilities have certain responsibilities regarding their educational experiences at AUM. The student will:
- Identify disabilities to CDS in order to access accommodations and services available.
- Furnish required documentation from a qualified provider identifying the disability and its effects, requirements, and recommended accommodations.
- Provide a class schedule to CDS at the beginning of each semester for development of the faculty notification memorandum.
- Meet with faculty at the beginning of each semester to discuss arrangements for accommodations, to complete the Accommodation Contract and to clarify the impact of the disability.
- Follow the specific procedures for accessing accommodations.
- Maintain the academic standards set by AUM.
- Notify CDS of the need for services or any change in service requirements in a timely manner.
- Update service file with Disability Services Manager if returning to AUM following more than one year's absence.
ADA coverage for students with all disabilities begins upon enrollment with the Center for Disability Services and not before.
Memo Notification Procedure
CDS students have been instructed to hand deliver their accommodation memos to faculty, set up a meeting time outside of class, and discuss the requests for specific accommodations as listed in the accommodation memo. During this meeting, the instructor and student should determine which, if any, accommodations will be requested. Students can request accommodations with reasonable notification at any point during the semester. During this meeting, students and instructors are encouraged to sign the CDS Accommodation Contract, make a copy for the instructor's records, and return the original through campus mail to CDS.