Driver License Requirements for Non-U.S. Citizens
• A valid foreign passport with an acceptable visa or resident alien card.
• Social Security number verification * or letter from Social Security stating non-eligibility.
• Document from the "secondary" list authorizing presence in the U.S. for more than 160 days.
• $5 test or transfer fee plus cost of license (no checks).
* Social Security Verification
• Social Security card (original).
• Certified letter on letterhead from the Social Security Administration stating applicant's name and number.
• U.S. military identification card.
• U.S. military form DD 214.
• Medicare/Medicaid identification card (if Social Security number is followed by the letter "A").
• W2 tax form.
** School Enrollment Documents
• Form DL1/93.
• Certificate of graduation.
• GED certificate.
• Certified letter from school officials stating student is enrolled.
ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION (PRIMARY AND SECONDARY)
• A Social Security card is required of all applicants who have been assigned and/or are eligible for the assignment of a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.
• Certified U.S. birth certificate issued by an agency designated by state or federal authority.
• U.S. passport. ·
• Alabama identification card.
• Alabama driver license.
• Certificate of naturalization.
• Certificate of citizenship.
• U.S. certificate of birth abroad.
• Resident alien card.
• Valid foreign passport with valid U.S. immigration document.
• U.S. state-issued driver license or non-driver ID card.
• Current international driver license/permit.
• Marriage license.
• U.S. armed forces driver license.
• U.S. military DD-214.
• Professional license issued by a state or federal agency.
• Selective Service card.
• Veterans Administration card.
• Current medical insurance identification card.
• U.S. military ID card.
• ID card issued by school with photo.
• School enrollment form (DL-1/93).
• Certified school record:
o Certified letter from school;
o GED certificate;
o Certificate of graduation.
• W-2 tax form, along with copy of previous year's filed forms (tax return).
• Documents from court of record:
o Divorce decree;
o Adoption decree;
o Name-change decree;
o Bankruptcy decree.
• Probation or release documents issued by state or federal department of correction with photo ID card issued by the same authority, or felon ID card issued by the sheriff of the county of the applicant's release.
Additional Secondary Documents for Non-U.S. Citizens
• Employment authorization document with valid Social Security card.
• Valid visa (with supporting documents) authorizing presence in the United States for a period exceeding 160 days.
• Valid l-94 arrival/departure record issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
• Original I-797 (notice of action) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, showing approval of change of status or extension of stay.
• Original l-797 (notice of action) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, evidencing timely filing of an extension petition.