AUM Nursing graduates are in demand by employers all over the Southeast — in hospitals, clinics, home health, hospices, schools, and public health programs. As a nurse, you’ll play a critical role in patients’ diagnosis and care in a challenging profession that unites knowledge and compassion. At AUM, you’ll get the classroom and clinical training you need to be a skilled healthcare professional. If you want a career helping people, one that allows you a choice of jobs, join the AUM Nursing program.
Points of Pride
- 97% of students have jobs within three months of graduation.
- The EARN (Educational Advancement for Registered Nurses) program allows RNs to complete their Bachelor of the Science of Nursing completely online in three semesters.
- AUM nursing students get clinical experience conducting physical exams, blood tests, and dental, vision and hearing checks. The College of Nursing and Health Sciences participates in the Healthy Kids initiative and provides health screenings to schoolchildren in the Lowndes and Elmore County public schools.
- In 2015 and 2016, AUM nursing students received clinical training at Walter Reed National Military Medical Hospital in Bethesda, MD, through Project SERVE (Student’s Education Related to the Veteran Experience). AUM was one of only two universities to participate in this program.
- In 2015-2015, 25 percent of the nurses at Baptist Medical Center East who received the DAISY (Diseases Attacking the Immune System) Award were AUM graduates. The DAISY Foundation was established in 1999 to recognize the extraordinary work that nurses do.
- In every semester’s Warhawk Hospital, students from all departments in the College of Nursing and Health Services work together to care for patients in the AUM simulation learning laboratory. This is an inter-professional active learning experience to prepare students to work cooperatively to create a better patient-centered health-care system.
- AUM’s Nursing program cultivates close relationships with clinical agencies in order to provide students with high quality clinical immersion experiences within an hour of the university. Senior students are able to plan their preceptor experience without disrupting the semester or incurring additional living and/or travel expenses.
- AUM’s Promoting Academic SuccesS (PASS) and Mentoring to Educate Retain and Empower Nurses (MEREN) programs provide academic support to nursing students by providing activities that develop clinical judgment, critical thinking and test-taking skills, reading effectiveness and nursing values.
Put Your Degree to Work
Note: While salaries vary depending on several factors including your level of experience, education and training, and geography and industry, here is a sampling of the future job growth and salaries in this area.
A degree in nursing will give you plenty of jobs at better-than-average pay to choose from. The healthcare field is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations — 19 percent from 2014 to 2024 — and add 2.3 million jobs to the economy. The most recent median annual wage for healthcare practitioners and technical occupations was $62,610 — higher than the median annual wage of all occupations.