The staff of Counseling and Health Promotion Services (CHPS) provides different levels of support to AUM students. Currently enrolled students are provided free, professional and confidential counseling services through individual and group counseling appointments. Meeting with a counselor is a chance to explore one's hopes and fears, and determine possible courses of action or resolution in a respectful, non-judgmental, and confidential setting.
Most students visit us once a week for an hour, for 4-6 appointments, depending on the severity of the need and progress. Students can attend as many sessions as needed, as there is no limit on the amount of visits the student can have.
CHPS works diligently to provide a vast realm of services to students when there is a need. At times students need additional support for assessment, accommodations, and diagnostic services to support their eligibility for other services at AUM. When it is appropriate and ethical we attempt to fill these needs as best we can for students who may not have access to outside services.
What Can You Expect in Counseling?
CHPS staff consists of licensed and trained mental health professionals with backgrounds in counseling and psychology. Each counselor has a different counseling style and varies in his/her technique. However, it is a collaborative and professional relationship that will focus on your concerns. You may expect that your counselor will:
- Listen, and take your concerns seriously
- Help you remove barriers to achieve your personal goals
- Maintain the highest ethical and legal standards of counseling practice
- Answer your questions directly and honestly
- Provide a non-judgmental atmosphere
Your responsibility in counseling includes a commitment to the following:
- Attending sessions regularly
- Talking as honestly as you can about what is bothering you
- Be willing to look at your life in a different way
- Letting your counselor know if something isn't working for you, or if you feel that you are not benefiting from your experience at CHPS