It is the mission of AUM to make educational opportunities available to everyone. The Center for Disability Services (CDS) provides academic support services to students with disabilities. By providing opportunities for enhancing educational, technological, vocational and self-advocacy skills, we help individuals with disabilities to become more self-reliant, self-motivated and more successful citizens of the community. If you have a documented disability simply register with CDS prior to the beginning of each semester that you are enrolled at AUM.
Our services include—
- Test proctoring
- Captioning [CART]
- Note taking
- Assistive technology
- Electronic text (E-text)
- Braille & other alternative formats
- Accommodations designed to meet the specific needs of each individual
Disability Services also provides training and technical assistance regarding disabilities, accommodations, accessibility or other services for individuals with disabilities. In addition, the Center for Disability Services acts as the campus' monitoring agency for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008.
Enrolled students can request services by using the below links.
CDS does not provide assessments or diagnose disabilities. Instead, we make referrals to appropriate campus resources such as AUM Counseling and Health Promotion Services, Student Health Services, Speech & Hearing Clinic, Learning Center, Instructional Support Lab and Career Development Center. In addition, we refer students to the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services or private psychologists as needed.
Our Mission Statement
- To serve the university in facilitating accommodations for students, faculty, and staff.
- To serve as the liaison for faculty, staff, and students with disabilities in academic and campus life activities.
- To assist with the implementation of special accommodations utilizing resources of the Center for Disability Services.
- To provide training and technical assistance regarding disabilities, accommodations, accessibility or service for individuals with disabilities.
- To offer training and assistance through grant, project and program activities for individuals with disabilities.
Location: Taylor Center 147
Center for Disability Services, P.O. Box 244023, Montgomery, AL 36124-4023