Global Initiatives

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I work?  
Yes, you can work on campus if positions are available. Go by the AUM Career Development Office and fill out the application forms to apply for employment. Off-campus work is limited to those students who file for Optional Practical Training, Curricular Practical Training or Severe Economic Hardship work authorization. You must have been in F- I status for one academic year to apply. Check with ISP (International Student Programs) for details.

My visa has expired. What do I do? 
Nothing, until you travel home. The entry visa stamp allows the student to come to the U.S. It does not have any effect on the individual's legal status after entry into the U.S. A visa can be allowed to expire and will not affect the individual's legal immigration status. Visa stamps can only be obtained outside the U.S. at a U.S. Consulate/Embassy.

I want to get involved in campus activities, what do I do? How do I meet people from my country? How do I get to know some Americans?
Campus involvement is as easy as contacting AUM Student Involvement. The International Student Association, AUM ISA, is a good place to start, where you will find friendly international students.

How do I make a payment of my student account?
You can make payments by international wire transfer through our partner, peerTransfer. To initiate an international wire transfer, click peerTransfer or log in to My AUM, select Finances and then International Payments. 

Our online bill presentation and payment system is called WebPay, and it is easily accessible through the MyAUM student portal. Once you are logged in to MyAUM, look for the WebPay icon on the launch pad. In WebPay, you can make payments by credit card with a Visa, Mastercard, and/or American Express.

Payments can be made in person at the Cashier's Office in Taylor Center 112.

What is the weather like?
The climate is southern, so we have 40 degree temps in the winter, with some days dropping to 20 degrees, but very few. Summer temperatures range from 80s into the 90s.

I have a lot of problems and I just need someone to talk to, what do I do?
AUM offers free counseling. Contact the AUM Counseling Center at 334-244-3469 for an appointment with a licensed counselor who will listen and talk with you about your problems.

I have had trouble with English and math in the past. Do you have a tutoring facility?
The AUM Learning Center, located in the Ida Belle Young Library Tower, has free tutoring in math and English.

What questions do you think belong on this page?
Email the Office of Global Initiatives at and let us know. We would love to know your thoughts!