Housing and Residence Life

   Like Us On Facebook

Follow us on Twitter



Housing Costs & FAQ

All first time applicants require a one-time, non-refundable $100 application fee* up front.
Payable online or in the Cashier's Office. Fee not required for returning residents.
*Applications will not process without receipt of payment of application fee. No waivers of application fee available.

  1. How much is the rent?
    The rent for 2014 - 2015 academic year (per student per term) is as follows:

    The Commons: $2,715 (summer term - $1,845)
    Four bedroom apartment for four students

    The Courtyards: $1,720 (summer term - $1,135) Quad
    Two bedroom apartment for four students (Redbud Court)

    The Courtyards: $3,395 (summer term - $2,265) Semi-Private
    Two bedroom apartment for two students (Redbud Court)

    The Courtyards: $2,095 (summer term - $1,385) Double
    One bedroom apartment for two students (Dogwood Court, Lilac Hall, Maple Hall, Poplar Place, Pine Place and Plum Place)

    The Courtyards: $3,785 (summer term - $2,525) Private
    One bedroom apartment for private/married students (Dogwood Court, Lilac Hall, Maple Hall, Poplar Place, Pine Place and Plum Place)

    Warhawk Hall: $4,030(summer term - $2,690)
    One bedroom apartment

    Warhawk Hall: $3,620 (summer term - $2,420)
    Two bedroom apartment for two students

    Warhawk Hall: $3,215 (summer term - $2,120)
    Three bedroom apartment for three students

  2. Are utilities provided in the rooms?

    All utilities (gas, power, garbage and water), basic and expanded cable service, high-speed internet service and unlimited laundry are included in the rent.
  3. Is there a meal plan available?

    The Roost, located on the second floor of the Taylor Center, does offer a meal plan. Full-time freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors are automatically charged a meal plan to their student account.
    The plan is convenient and easy. You will be billed automatically for the plan - $600 per semester if you are living on campus and $100 per semester if you are living off campus. The money will be loaded onto your Warhawk Card (your student ID) and you can use the card like a debit card in The Roost and at The AUMazing Bean coffee shop across from the Bookstore.
    The Roost also accepts cash, Master Card, Visa, and the Warhawk Card as payment for meals. Information regarding Warhawk Cards is available by contacting the Bookstore at 334-244-3578.
  4. How do you assign roommates?

    We will consider a specific roommate request as well as other information contained in the application for housing when making room assignments; however, no guarantee of a particular assignment is implied. The Office of Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to reassign residents in order to consolidate vacancies.
  5. What happens if my son/daughter does not like their roommate?

    While we take special care to select compatible roommates, sometimes our selections (and sometimes the resident’s selections) don’t seem to work. First and foremost, we recommend that the roommates attempt to work out their differences. Each resident is encouraged to develop a relationship based on respect for each other’s personal life, appreciation for human diversity and cultural differences, and a commitment to have an open discussion and resolution of problems which arise while they are living together. Resident Assistants in each building are trained to offer additional guidance in this, so each roommate should feel free to contact the Resident Assistant for help.
    If either roommate still feels uncomfortable, he/she can request a room assignment change simply by coming to the Housing Office (125 Taylor Center) and completing a room change request form. All room change requests must be approved by the Residence Life Program Manager and require payment of a $50 room change fee. When approved, the resident(s) will then be contacted by the Housing Office to arrange the details of the proposed move. Requests for room changes will be accepted following the first week of classes until the cancellation date each term.
  6. What about security?

    Security for the housing areas is provided by the AUM Campus Police. Patrols are maintained by officers and they will be glad to provide assistance to residents and stranded motorists. AUM police officers will provide escort service to or from cars or classes at unusual times or under unusual circumstances. Residents should report any concerns and/or incidents regarding safety and security to the housing staff and Campus Police as soon as possible. Campus Police can be reached at 334-244-3424 or 271-2400.
  7. What is the campus alcohol policy?

    Local, state, and federal laws pertaining to the possession and use of alcoholic beverages are in force on the university campus and in student housing. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted outside of the individual rooms in the housing area.
  8. What is the policy for guests?

    Guests of AUM residents are expected to abide by all university and housing policies. Residents are responsible for the actions of their guests while on campus. Overnight guests must be at least 18 years of age. Overnight guests of the same sex are limited to staying in a resident’s room no more than three nights per month. Consent of the roommate(s) must be obtained. Overnight guests of the opposite sex are not permitted in residents’ rooms under any circumstances.
  9. Are there curfews?

    No, there are no curfews. However, quiet hours are from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m., Sunday through Thursday. Reasonable quiet and consideration is expected at all times. Residents are encouraged to make the initial effort in controlling noise. Usually a simple request to the persons responsible for loud and disturbing noises will suffice. If such a request does not get results, residents should contact the Resident Assistant on duty or the Housing Office.
  10. Can I mail rent payments directly to the Housing Office?

    We do not accept direct payments for rent. However, as long as the payment is for the full amount of the rent,  payment may be mailed to:

    AUM Cashier Office
    P.O. Box 244023
    Montgomery, AL 36124-4023
  11. What does my son/daughter need to bring with him/her?

    Your son/daughter has received a list of what to bring and what not to bring in this packet. A copy of this list is also available in the Housing Office, or online at What to Bring.
  12. What if my son/daughter decides to move out during the term?

    When moving out of student housing, residents must properly check out at the Housing Office, 125 Taylor Center, in person. Written instructions regarding move-out procedures are available in the Housing and Residence Life Office, or online at Vacating Procedures. To check out, the room must be vacated according to these instructions, all personal property removed, all access cards/keys and parking decal returned, and a completed vacating notice form placed on file in the Housing Office.
    The move-out deadline for students not returning to university housing is usually the day following the last day of final exams of each term. Failure to check out properly or on time may result in charges of $100 per day past the published move-out deadline as well as additional charges being filed against the resident’s student account.

  13. Does my son/daughter need to reapply for housing next term?

    The applications for housing are for the current academic year. This means that your son/ daughter will need to reapply again for each new fall semester. Normally, notices are given beginning in January prior to each fall semester that it is time to re-apply.
  14. Does my son/daughter have to move out during the breaks between terms?

    Rent for a term covers residence from the first day of scheduled move-in until 12 hours after the last examination for the term. Residents may remain in their apartments during scheduled vacations and during periods between terms, provided the rent for the upcoming term has been paid by the published rent due date and the campus remains open during scheduled vacations and breaks.