Residency Requirements

FAQ’s on Residency

Frequently Asked Questions

When is a student's residency status determined? The Office of Admissions and Recruitment determines each student's residency status when the completed application for admission is received and processed. The decision is based on the information contained in the application for admission, transcripts, and other documents required for admission. The residency status determined at this time remains in effect until the student either (1) fulfills the requirements for residency and petitions for reclassification or (2) loses residency by his or her absence from Alabama with intent to become a resident of another state. Residency status is reviewed after any absence from the university for more than one year [three consecutive semesters].

How is a minor student's residency status determined? In Alabama, nineteen (19) is the age of majority. Persons under the age of nineteen are considered minors under the law. The residency status for students under nineteen is based upon the residence of the student’s “supporting person” as that term is defined in the Non-Resident Tuition Policy. In most cases a person must be 19 to begin to establish residency apart from his or her parents, legal custodian, or guardian.

What is the resident status of immigrants, refugees and international students? A noncitizen with a visa that prohibits establishing a residence in Alabama during any portion of the durational period may not be granted resident student status. Other noncitizens may qualify for resident student status by meeting all requirements for residency outlined in the Non-Resident Tuition Policy, or having been granted refugee status and meeting all other requirements for residence.

What effect does property ownership in Alabama have on tuition classification? Property ownership in Alabama does not, by itself, constitute residency or entitlement to in-state tuition.

Does a student who is not a minor living in Alabama with a relative other than parents or guardian have any effect on residency status? None or very little. In cases where the student is a minor, residency rests on whoever claims him/her as a legal dependent.

If a student is a dependent of an out-of-state Auburn University at Montgomery alumnus, would it have any effect on his or her residency status? No. This would have no influence on residency status.

If a student lives in Alabama for a full year after enrolling and gets an Alabama driver’s license, registers his/her vehicle in Alabama, rents/owns Alabama property, and registers to vote in Alabama will this qualify for in-state tuition?  No.  A student must meet criteria for establishing residency in Alabama as outlined in the Non-Resident Tuition Policy. 

If a student, (or a student’s parents/guardian), lived in Alabama for most of his/her entire life except for the past couple of years, will the student be considered an in-state resident? In determining a person's eligibility for residency for tuition purposes, the Non-Resident Tuition Policy requires that the person be a resident of Alabama and has been a resident for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which the student is registering. The cumulative time a person lived in Alabama is not relevant if the person has moved away from Alabama and established residence in another state.

If a minor student’s parent owns a business in Alabama but lives in another state, does that allow the student to receive in-state residency?  No.  The student would qualify only if the parent was physically present at the Alabama business site and working in a permanent, full-time capacity for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the student’s enrollment.

If a minor student’s parent or guardian is a member of the United States military, can the student be considered a resident and allowed in-state tuition if they are not stationed in Alabama?  No.  The parent must be stationed in Alabama or have an LES (leave and earning statement proving Alabama as state of residence).  Home of record is not necessarily the same as state of residency. 

How does a student petition for a reclassification of residency status? A non-resident student who believes s/he has satisfied the residency requirement may obtain an "Application for Change of Residency for Tuition Purposes" from the Registrar’s Office or click Application for Change of Residency. A change in residency classification is never automatic. It is always the student's responsibility to initiate the reclassification request.

Is there a deadline for submitting a petition for reclassification for residency? Yes. For details please refer to the Non-Resident Tuition Policy.

After reading the residency guidelines, if a student thinks s/he qualified for in-state residency at time of enrollment can s/he get a refund if appropriate documentation is provided proving residency? No. A change of residency for tuition purposes is not retroactive.

May a student appeal if his or her petition for residency is denied? Yes. For details please go to Non-Resident Tuition Policy.

May a student who is classified as a resident lose resident status and be reclassified as a non-resident? Temporary absences from Alabama alone will not result in a loss of resident student status once established, unless the absence is accompanied by actions which indicate intent to establish a new residence in another state.

Determination that false or misleading information was provided by the student may result in loss of resident status and dismissal from the university.

Residency status may be re-determined after any absence from the university.

For more details, please refer to the Non-Resident Tuition Policy.

To apply for change of residency, please go to the Application for Change of Residency.