Advising and Academic Enhancement


Frequently Asked Questions


How many semester hours can I take per term?
Provisionally admitted students can take up to 14 hours per term and fully admitted students can take up to 18 hours per term.
How many hours do I need to take in order to be considered a full time student?
You need to take at least 12 hours to be a full time student.
Is there a minimum number of hours that I have to take?
No. You can take as few hours as you want. However, certain types of financial aid may require you to enroll in a certain number of semester hours. Check the terms of your financial aid documents to determine the minimum number of hours for which you must enroll.
Do I have to take all of my core (general study) courses before I can take course in my major?
No. However, we recommend that you take at least some core courses every term until you have completed all of them. You are required to register for at least one core course per term if you have achieved 55 hours of study and have still not completed the core.
How long can I have an undeclared major?
Undeclared students at AUM are required to declare a major within their first 41 semester hours of credit. While classified as undeclared, students must complete core courses. Since undeclared students will be advised without the direction of their major, all classes taken as an undeclared student may not be applicable to the major for which they declare.
Will I have to take a placement test before I can register for an English or a Math course?
Placement into English is based on the ACT English subscore (or SAT verbal score). If this score is 18 or higher (450 or higher on the SAT), you may register for English Composition I (ENGL 1010). If your score is 17 or lower, you may register for Basic English and Lab (ENGL 0100 and 0101). Students who have not taken an ACT or SAT within the past three years should contact the English Department at 334-244-3376 for information on the English Placement Test.
If you score 20 or higher on the math portion of the ACT (540 or higher on the quantitative portion of the SAT), you may register for Finite Math, Pre-Calculus Algebra, or Pre-Calculus with Trigonometry. If you score 25 or higher on the math portion of the ACT ( or 620 or higher on the quantitative portion of the SAT), you may register for Calculus. If you score below 20 on the math portion of the ACT, you must take the Math Placement Test before you can register for a math course.
Non-transfer students without ACT or SAT scores or with ACT or SAT scores that are at least 3 years old must take the Math and English Placement Test.
Transfer students with math and/or English Composition credit from another institution should bring copies of all college transcripts to their advisor in order to determine their math and/or English placement.
Where and When can I take the Math Placement Test?
The Math Placement Test is given in the Math Computer Lab (302 Taylor Center), Wednesdays from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. and Fridays from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. No appointment is necessary.
If you need or want to take the placement tests, please try to do so at least three days before you come in for advising.