Alabama History Day
April 18, 2014
March 18, 2014: Deadline for submitting papers and websites
(must be postmarked by March 18)
Alabama History Day is a contest for high school and junior high school students at which they present papers, displays, websites, performances, and documentaries on historical topics. The top two entries in each category (both high school and junior high) have the opportunity to attend the National History Day contest in Washington, D.C., in June. The topic for this year is “Rights and Responsibilities in History,” and teachers and students interested in possible subjects for projects can learn more about it at the National History Day website, www.nhd.org.
This year, Alabama History Day will be April 18, 2014 (Friday). The deadline for entries is March 18. In particular, websites and papers must be submitted by that date, so that judges can review entries before the contest. Any teacher may sponsor a student, and home school students may be sponsored by a parent or guardian.
For further information, contact Professor Wyatt Wells, School of Liberal Arts, Department of History, Auburn University at Montgomery, P.O. Box 244023, Montgomery, AL, 36124, firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE ALABAMA STATE HISTORY DAY CONTEST: Note that teachers must register first and enter their school information, student names, entry category, division, etc. Once teachers/parents of home-schoolers have registered, students are able to register.
HOW TO REGISTER:
1. On your address bar type in al.nhd.org or click al.nhd.org
2. Click on the link to the left that reads - "Online Registration"
3. Scroll down the page until you see "Alabama History Day 2014" (a link in red)
4. Click on the red Alabama History Day 2014 link.
5. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select from the pull down menu, "EDUCATOR WITH COMPETING STUDENTS."
6. At the bottom of the next page you will see a red link that reads "Don't have a username and password? Click here." Everyone must click this link even if you have a username and password from last year.
7. This page is where you will fill out all of your information and click the "save" button at the bottom of page.
8. The software will not take you back to the sign-in page where you will enter your user id that you created and your password. Enter your user ID and password than click the "go" or "submit" button.
9. Now you will be on the page that allows you to enter your school name, co-teacher if you have one, student names, entries, and so forth. Be sure to select either "finished for now and save," or "ready to pay, click to confirm."
10. Check to see that your registration is complete. Your students may now register for the contest.